Watching God's Prophetic Clock

In centuries past, people from time to time would look at world events and think they could see the fulfilment of end time prophecy, and proclaim it to the world. However, in every instance, those who knew their Bibles well would protest that the end of the age could not yet be happening because the Key Prophecy of Israel returning to her land had not yet happened. Bible scholars have always correctly considered that the end time clock would not begin to tick until Israel had returned as a nation to her ancient God given land and in particular the City of Jerusalem being back in the hands of the Jewish people. This happened in June 1967 (after some 1900 years) and at that moment, the end time clock began ticking. Thus, we can know with great certainty that the world is now living in the end of the age.

It is alarming that there are so few people today, especially in the church, that recognize how important the modern state of Israel is in God's plan. The truth that the Jewish people must return to their ancient homeland has been known among some theologians throughout the Church Age. The most famous theologian who wrote about the physical return of the Jews to the Holy Land was Sir Isaac Newton. He stated around 250 years before the nation of Israel was re-established that the Jews would return to the Holy Land and form a nation again. The re-establishment of the nation of Israel to her ancient homeland is considered to be the most important warning sign of the end times. The parable of the fig tree is about Israel being reborn (Matt. 24:32). I truly believe that those individuals born after 1967 are the final generation and the rapidly approaching end of the age when Christ returns to earth.

God has predicted in His book in various places that the sons and daughters of Israel would return to their land, the land of Israel, just before He would send them their Messiah; Christ Jesus. For almost 20 centuries the children of Israel have not lived in their homeland simply because one did not exist. Until 1948 there has not been a nation of Israel for them to return to. Since 70 A.D. they have lived in various parts of the world, mostly in Europe, but on other continents as well. But in the last 70 years, we have seen the re-establishment of the State of Israel and the return to that land of the people known to the world as "the Jews." Over the past 70 years we have seen the fulfilment of prophetic Scripture never before seen by any other generation. To date, there are close to 8 million Jews who call Israel their home who have returned there just in the last 70 years and their presence there is an incredible testimony to how close we are to the return of Jesus Christ.

You might say, "What is the big deal with Israel; particularly Jerusalem?" "What is it about this tiny piece of real estate that captivates the nations?" To anyone well acquainted with God's Word – this should come as no surprise. The attention being given to this place was all predicted in the Bible. This is one of the interesting things about Bible prophecy; we are presented with history written in advance. Israel's role in Bible prophecy is of extreme importance. It doesn't take an expert to see how Israel's very existence is a miracle.

Jerusalem is mentioned over 800 times in the Bible. This is the one place in all of the world that Jehovah God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, has singled out and called "His Own." God said, "but I have chosen Jerusalem, that My name may be there: and I have chosen David to be over My people Israel (2 Chronicles 6:6)." God goes on further to say, "For now I have chosen and sanctified this house, that My name may be there forever; and My eyes and My heart will be there perpetually (2 Chronicles 7:16)."

The nation Israel is like no other nation on the face of the earth. It is God ordained, God decreed, and a God protected nation. They are His special, chosen people. He chose Israel, "to be a special people unto Himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth (Deuteronomy 7:6)." Then in verse eight He adds why He chose Israel, "because the Lord loves you and because He would keep the oath which He swore to your fathers (Abraham, Isaac and Jacob)."

The history of the Jewish people for the last 2000 years continues to fulfill what Moses said would happen to Israel. The Jewish people have maintained their identity, but were at the mercy of the nations. They suffered at the hands of the Byzantines, Crusaders, Muslims, Europeans, Russians and most recently the Nazis. Because of their disobedience to God, Moses warned Israel in Deuteronomy 28:66, "Your life shall hang in doubt before you; you shall fear day and night, and have no assurance of life."

In the end times, after the Rapture and the start of the Tribulation, God again deals directly with Israel. The angel Gabriel informed Daniel over 2500 years ago that His people Israel and the City of Jerusalem would be the centre of world focus (Daniel 9:24). They would serve the role as God's prophetic clock. In the end times, God would restore the Jewish people to the land of Israel. It is God's plan for Israel that controls the future. They are His chosen people, and many promises that were made to them by Jehovah God to their fathers (Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) still remain to be fulfilled. God keeps His promises and everything experienced by the Gentile nations of the world in the future will be tied in some way to God's plan for Israel.

The control of the land called Palestine (ancient Canaan; the Promised Land) is the most volatile issue in international geopolitical debate. But the land belongs to God, and He deeded it to Israel as her homeland (Genesis 12:7). And that deed has never been cancelled.

Only the covenant promise of God has been sufficient to keep the Jews alive as the people today. Any other nation would have vanished off the earth. History has demonstrated that any people who leave their homeland will, after five generations, lose their national identity by being absorbed into the culture, but the Jewish people remained a distinct entity. Not only have they survived, but the nations that persecuted them have either been destroyed or have completely lost their individual identity and have been absorbed into other cultures and races. You cannot find the ancient neighbours of the Jewish people anywhere. Have you ever met a Moabite? Do you know any Hittites? Are there any tours to visit the Ammonites? Can you find the postal code of a single Edomite? No! These ancient peoples disappeared from history and from the face of the earth. Yet the Jewish people, as God promised, have returned to their land. And, they are beginning this final regathering to the land of promise which ultimately will be fulfilled during the thousand year reign of Christ (Rev. 20).