Come quickly Lord Jesus

See, Jesus is the truth. He never lied and He told His disciples the truth. He never said once you believe in Me you will have a garden of roses. He actually said these things I have spoken to you that in Me, you may have peace. Not in the UN. Not in the U.S. Not in military or political entities. Not in the system of this world. In Me, you have peace. In this world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world. Amen.

Be of Good Cheer
Jesus, having just told His disciples of the nearness of the hour of His death, of His promise to return and of the coming of the Holy Spirit, then told them this;

John 16:33

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

The Bible is constantly pointing our thinking to our eternal future in an effort to encourage us in the midst of the trials and tribulations of this life. At the same time the Scripture never seeks to lessen the hard realties of this life but reminds us that life is closer to a battleground than a playground.

2 Corinthians 10:4

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds

If we have weapons of warfare at our disposal the implication is clear, we are at war! The war is not one of the flesh and blood kind but it is against principalities, powers and spiritual hosts of wickedness as Ephesians 6 reminds us.

Ephesians 6:12-13

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

It is also true that it is easy to get “weary of warfare” in the evil day and just want a time of peace. This is the very reason the Bible points our thinking ahead. Peace is coming when the Prince of Peace rules this war weary world. Until then, we will have tribulations and trials. Yet, as Jesus told the 12, in these things we can “be of good cheer” for He has overcome the world.

Here is what is interesting about this statement. Jesus had come into the world when He made this statement but He, through the cross, had not yet overcome the world. This is a common practice in Scripture, to speak of the future as though it has already come to pass. For example, consider the great Messianic chapter Isaiah 53;

Isaiah 53:5

But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.

Things that would happen 700 years later were written of as though they had already come to pass. He “was” wounded, He “was” bruised, the chastisement for our peace “was” upon Him. The reason for the literary practice is that this was the plan from before the foundations of the world. Peter reminds us of this concerning Jesus:

1 Peter 1:20

He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.

The fact is, if God has ordained it nothing can stop it! Even though Isaiah wrote long before the Son of God entered into the world, in the likeness of sinful flesh, it was as sure as if it had already happened. The same is true about our eternal future.

The disciples were about to enter a season of life that they had never experienced, one of tribulation and persecution and Jesus admonished them to be of good cheer in the midst of it. As 21st century disciples the same is true for us.

2 Timothy 3:12

Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

The Greek word translated as “good cheer” in John 16:33 could also be translated as “be of good comfort” or even “be of good courage.” So in this life we will have tribulation and persecution and yet we are told to have courage, take comfort and be of good cheer in the midst of them. So how do we get there?

It isn’t by declaring and decreeing peace, health or prosperity into our lives, it isn’t by determining to have our “best life now” nor is it from our political party being victorious in an election or the economy booming or anything else in this life. We can be of good comfort, good courage and good cheer because Jesus has overcome the world!

Isaiah 9:6-7

For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Someday Jesus is going to sit upon the throne of David in Jerusalem and rule and reign over a time of world peace like it has never been known. In Him, there will be peace on earth. Until then there will be trials and tribulations but these too will come to an end. So be of good comfort, good courage and good cheer by remembering, in order for Jesus to sit on David’s throne, He has to be coming again and because it was written and foretold of in the Word of God, nothing and no one can stop it!

Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!

The quote from Ephesians is more true today than ever before and is also one of the numerous reasons this website was created.

"Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."

We must prepare ourselves for what is coming because the tribulation and the wrath of God is around the corner. This world is populated with workers of darkness, who tempt us with lies and deception through the media and in our churches. The world is in bad shape right now and will continue to host the unrighteous until the King of Kings returns.

Come quickly Lord Jesus!